INITIAL ELIGIBILITY FOR ALL FALL ATHLETES WILL BE DETERMINED BY THE SECOND SEMESTER REPORT CARD OF THE PREVIOUS YEAR. FOR WINTER ATHLETES, THE FIRST QUARTER GRADES FOR THE CURRENT YEAR DETERMINE INITIAL ELIGIBLITY. FOR SPRING SPORTS, THE FIRST SEMESTER GRADES OF THE CURRENT YEAR DETERMINE INITIAL ELIGIBILITY.
- Students must meet eligibility requirements in order to participate in extra-curricular activities. Eligibility will include academic and citizenship standards. If you are not eligibility, you will not be able to play until grades are issued after the end of the next quarter/semester grading period. Students ineligible at the end of the previous school year will remain ineligible for the first quarter of the current school year unless the student attends Summer school and makes up the grades that are keeping the GPA under 2.0. The following list represents the eligibility requirements to participate on a sports team at Salinas High School:
- Academic- students must maintain a 2.0 GPA and no more than 1 “F”
- Citizenship- students may have a maximum of 1 "Unsatisfactory" to be eligible
- Every student at Salinas High School can be granted ONE (1) eligibility contract in their four years of high school. In order to qualify for an eligibility contract, a student must not have more then 1 "F" grade or 1 "Unsatisfactory" in citizenship. If a student exceeds this number in either area, a contract is not allowed.
- Each student must register on Athletic Clearance and fill out information on medical insurance. If any student does not have proof of insurance, supplemental insurance is available to purchase through a private company. Information is available at the school site. To sign up online please visit Myers-Stevens Medical Insurance.
There are 10 steps that must be followed in order to get cleared for athletics. We are here to help as much as we can but the athlete MUST do his/her part and follow the ten steps. Reading carefully below will make this process super easy for you.
1. First and foremost, the most important part of getting cleared is to rely on the Salinas High School Athletic Website. If you do not use this website to follow all instructions, you will be lost and not be able to start your sport on time. We will help you but if you use that website, it will answer 99.9% of your questions.
2. Earn a 2.0 Grade Point Average for your last report card. You may not have more than one “F” and/or more than one “Unsatisfactory” citizenship grade, and you must pass at least four classes. If you are an 8th grader or new to Salinas High School, you will need to upload a copy of your 2nd semester report card (that is the final report card you will receive from your previous school). Use the “Additional Upload Form” link for the report card upload. Fall athletes, please remember that if you received a poor grade in a class, you must take that class over again in order for the grade to be replaced. If you failed a math class and took a different class in Summer School, the “F” in Math and the grade from the other class will be part of your GPA that determines eligibility for sports.
3. You must have a sports physical in order to participate. It is imperative that you work on scheduling your physical as soon as possible so you are not left out of the start of your season. At this time, we are working to schedule physicals at Salinas High School. Once we set those dates, we will let you know. You can schedule your physical with your doctor, you can schedule a sports physical with Action Physical Therapy on East Romie Lane (831-758-5338) for $25, or you can go to a place like Pinnacle or Doctors on Duty and get a physical. You can also schedule a free physical at MLK Family Resource Center and Alisal Family Resource Center or attend a free physical done by SVMH every Tuesday between 2:30-6 at Alvarez High School. You can download a physical form: SHS Physical Form or use the form the doctor provides. The physical form MUST have a doctor’s signature, the date of the physical, and a doctor's stamp with his/her address and practice. You must have a physical within the last 12 months in order to participate in sports. After your physical is completed, upload your physical on your Athletic Clearance account under the “Physical Form” upload (there are three upload links in case you need more room).
4. Create an account and fill out all paperwork on www.athleticclearance.com. Follow the step by step instructions provided: Step by step instructions for Athletic Clearance or Step by Step Spanish Instructions for Athletic Clearance. The Athletic Clearance website for the 2022-23 school year will not be available until June 1, 2022.
5. Pay athletic fees associated with the athletic program. You can contact our Finance Clerk, Mrs. Gonzales at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out the Summer hours of the Finance office so these fees can be paid. It is the responsibility of the student/athlete to provide proof to the athletic office that fees have been paid.
6. Complete the mandatory Extracurricular Contract Meeting online with a parent. Simply email Coach Hunsdorfer after June 1, 2022 at email@example.com and he will send you the link and instructions on how to complete the requirements for the meeting.
7. Provide medical insurance or purchase school insurance through Myers/Stevens. You will need to upload a picture of your medical insurance card on the Athletic Clearance website under the “Proof of Insurance” upload.
8. Complete a Concussion Impact test which is now done online. You will need to contact Coach Hunsdorfer at firstname.lastname@example.org after June 1, 2022 at the email below asking him to send you the link for the test.
9. Upload your confirmation page to your Athletic Clearance account under the “Confirmation Message” upload. The confirmation page is the last page of the athletic clearance packet. The one with the signatures. Print it off, sign it, have your parents sign it, take a picture of it, and upload it.
10. You must take a Concussion IMPACT Test in your Freshman year or if you are new to Salinas High School. You must also take an updated one in your Junior year. You will need to contact Coach Hunsdorfer at email@example.com after June 1, 2022 asking him to send you the link and instructions for the test.
We will soon have videos on this site to help navigate you through this entire process.