Last updated 2020-05-10 at 11:47am
Given the ever-changing landscape in the United States regarding coronavirus, we will be updating this page so that students, staff, and community members are aware of the latest developments in how North Salinas High School and the Salinas Union High School District are handling events to prevent the spread of COVID-19. We are dedicated to making sure all members of our learning community are safe, healthy, and supported during this difficult time. You can also get updates on our Social Media pages: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube
Students, you can get lots of great information on our student portal: NSHS Connects (viewable only to NSHS Students)
Class of 2020 Drive-Through Graduation Ceremony
We will be honoring the Viking Class of 2020 with a drive-through graduation to be hosted on Thursday, June 4th from 10:00am to 4:00pm. Details regarding the route and procedures can be found at this document right here.
Textbook Collection and Locker Pick-Up This Week
We will be collecting textbooks for all 9th, 10th, and 11th graders the week of May 17th. Books will be turned in via car at the back of the school (Alvin Drive) according to this schedule. Students will also be able to collect locker belongings after turning in their books.
9th Graders: Tuesday May 19th - 10:30am to 12:30pm
10th Graders: Wednesday May 20th - 10:30am to 12:30pm
11th Graders: Thursday May 21st - 10:30am to 12:30pm
9th-11th Graders: Friday May 22nd - 10:30am to 12:30pm
Senior End of Year Calendar
Seniors, please see the image below or click this link to see the end of year calendar featuring important dates and times you'll need to know about for closing out your time here at NSHS.
Altered Graduation Requirements
The school board has waived the following graduation requirements for the class of 2020. All other graduation requirements, including the accrual of 220 credits, still remain in place. You can see those details on our graduation requirements page.
- The 85% Attendance Requirement
- The 2.0 Minimum GPA Requirement
- The 60-Hours of Community Service Requirement
Grading Policy Changes
The school board has altered the district grading policy for the second semester of the 2019-20 school year to reflect the new distance learning environment. Specifically, the policy says the following:
- If a student engages in distance learning:
- A student can use the additional Distance Learning to improve their 3rd quarter grade which ultimately will become their 4th quarter and semester grade. The Distance Learning Teacher will provide clear expectations that outline essential standards/skills that a student must demonstrate to improve their grade.
- If a student does not meet teacher expectations, they will receive a 4th quarter grade and semester grade that is equivalent to their 3rd Quarter Grade. A student will receive a NC for 4th quarter and semester grade if they had an F in the 3rd quarter
- If a student does not engage in distance learning:
- If a student had a passing grade in the 3rd Quarter, they will receive their 3rd Quarter grade as their 4th quarter grade and semester grade
- If a student had a failing grade in the 3rd Quarter, they will receive a No Credit (NC) for their 4th quarter grade and semester grade.NC will not be calculated in their GPA.
Please see Administrative Regulation 5121 for all details.
New Learning Schedule
Effective Monday, April 20th, 2020 NSHS will be following a common district distance learning schedule. The schedule can be viewed at this link and below.
Distance Learning Technology Information
Please see the following letter from the SUHSD on the technology we will be using to provide distance learning to students including recommendations on how to best prepare students for safely and responsibly engaging in this type of learning.
If you need help with your Chromebook, you may visit the textbook room on weekdays between 10:30 am and 12:30 pm.
Meals Available for Students
Update: Starting on Monday May 11th meals will only be available at NSHS on Mondays and Wednesdays.
The SUHSD Nutrition Services program continues to provide meals for students during our school closure. Nutrition services will be using a drive-through and walk-up system at NSHS between 10:30 am and 12:30 pm. Starting March 30th, parents do not need to have students present when the meals are picked up, however they do need a student ID number.
The NSHS meal drive-through /walk-up is located in the Alvin Avenue parking lot. Please see this diagram for details.