STARTING Thursday, August 23rd at lunch in Room 404.
Interested 7th and 8th grade students may join.
No experience necessary.
Sessions will be Wednesdays after school and lunch on Thursdays.
The MESA Schools Program assists students at middle and senior high schools (and some elementary schools) to excel in math and science and become competitively eligible for academically rigorous colleges and universities.
The program partners with teachers, administrators, school district officials, schools and industry representatives to provide quality academic enrichment. Student selection and services are implemented through a collaboration involving teachers at participating schools and personnel from local MESA centers.
Most MESA School Programs centers are housed at universities with ties to campus faculty members. Sites are located throughout California and serve hundreds of schools and school districts.
MESA Schools Program offers:
- Individual Academic Plans. The plans help monitor individual student progress toward college.
- Study skills training. Students learn the most effective study techniques for academic achievement.
- MESA Day Academies. Hands-on, common-core aligned math and science competitions give students a chance to meet like-minded students and vie for awards. Students follow MESA-developed curriculum that reinforce California state math and science content standards. Top winners of local competitions advance to regional and, in some instances, national contests.
- Career and college exploration. Industry guest speakers and field trips to companies and college campuses present various college and career options.
- Incentive awards. Outstanding student achievement and leadership is recognized.
- MESA periods. These classes, held during regular hours in some schools, allow MESA teachers to work with students on academics and MESA activities. Some schools offer MESA periods while others schedule MESA sessions before or after school, or at lunch.
- Teacher professional development opportunities. Institutes are offered for MESA teachers featuring hands-on curriculum and new techniques to teach math and science. The institutes are geared especially for educators who work in schools with limited resources.
For more information on MESA, click here.
To contact the adviser Mrs. Raeder, click here.