Welcome to SHS Athletics
To: Student-Athletes, Parents, and Coaches
From: SUHSD Athletic Directors
Re: Reopening of SUHSD Athletics
The Salinas Union High School District Athletic Directors are proud to announce the reopening of sports conditioning, practices, and competitions. We continue to seek opportunities for students to learn worthwhile lessons through education-based athletics that promote our student-athletes physical and social-emotional well-being.
The SUHSD community prides itself on how we traditionally host our education-based athletics programs. We recognize that this school year requires temporary adjustments to provide student-athletes with the opportunity to play.
These temporary adjustments include:
Shortened seasons, allowing each sport a chance to play that coincides with California Department of Public Health’s (CDPH) youth sport guidelines,
Limited size rosters that program head coaches will determine that follow CDPH sports cohort guidelines.
Game schedules that will minimize travel and outside community contact.
Health and Safety protocols will include mask-wearing, health screenings, physical distancing, limited use of indoor facilities, and sanitation of equipment.
No spectators as those present will be limited to athletes, coaching staff, and appropriate school personnel.
Sport-specific modifications that the NFHS and CIF recommend.
These temporary adjustments to how we run our programs will contribute to the safe environment that will allow student-athletes to resume play and have the chance to participate in education-based athletics. We are optimistic that reopening SUHSD athletics will help student-athletes overall well-being and encourage positive school participation. The SUHSD Athletic Directors look forward to seeing our student-athletes on our fields and courts once again.
Important Announcement for Salinas High School Athletics!
- Salinas High School is pleased to announce that we will begin normal practice on Monday, March 1 for Boys and Girls Golf, Boys and Girls Cross Country, and Boys and Girls Tennis. Those three sports have been conditioning this week on campus. They are getting used to the COVID protocols on campus and getting comfortable with the new guidelines they will need to follow while on campus. Included in this plan is our Mountain Biking Team which will begin practice sessions out in the Toro Park area on March 1.
- The three sports listed above will begin competition with the other Salinas Union High School District schools during the week of March 8. Make sure you check the website for those schedules. These three sports are now closed for any additional athletes.
- On March 1, Salinas High School will welcome back Football, Field Hockey, and Sideline Cheer for a weeklong conditioning session. Practice for those three sports will begin on March 8 and we will see our first competition the week of March 15 in all three sports. These three sports are now closed for additional athletes.
- No fans will be allowed at the competitions but we are doing our best to set up streaming services for all sports in order for friends and family to be able to see the games. More information to be announced.
- Track and Field will begin their conditioning sessions on March 15 and on April 6, we will welcome Baseball, Softball, Boys Volleyball, Boys and Girls Soccer, Swimming/Diving, Boys Volleyball, Boys and Girls Basketball, Boys and Girls Wrestling and Boys and Girls Lacrosse. All of these sports are open for sign ups.
- Our Boys and Girls Water Polo teams will not have a competition season this year but they will hold a three week practice session as a program starting March 8 at the Everett Alvarez High School Pool. We will return next year with competition for both programs. As of today, we are awaiting our county numbers on Tuesday, March 2 in order to decide if Girls Volleyball will have a season. Monterey County continues to be in the purple Tier and Volleyball is a Yellow Tier sport. On top of that, Volleyball is an indoor sport and the CIF has not released guidelines for indoor sports. March 2 is the deadline for Girls Volleyball. Please come back for updates.
- ALL SPORTS ARE VARSITY ONLY COMPETITION!
New sport dates approved by the Salinas Union High School District for the 2020-21 school year:
Fall Sports (Season 1) Sport Conditioning Date 1st day for Practice 1st Day for Competition Last day for Contests Regional/State Final Date Cross Country 2/22/21 3/1/21 3/6/21 3/20/21 No Playoffs Field Hockey 3/1/21 3/8/21 3/8/21 3/26/21 No Playoffs Football 3/1/21 3/8/21 3/15/21 4/16/21 No Playoffs Water Polo (Boys & Girls) Canceled 3/8/21 No competition 3/26/21 No Playoffs Volleyball (Boys & Girls) TBA TBA TBA TBA No Playoffs Sideline Cheer 3/1/21 3/8/21 3/15/21 4/16/21 No Playoffs Golf (Boys and Girls) 2/22/21 3/1/21 3/8/21 4/16/21 No Playoffs Tennis (Boys and Girls) 2/22/21 3/1/21 3/8/21 4/16/21 No Playoffs Mountain Biking 2/22/21 3/1/21 3/8/21 TBA No Playoffs Track and Field 3/15/21 3/22/21 4/6/21 5/14/21 No Playoffs Girls Wrestling 4/6/21 4/12/21 4/19/21 5/14/21 No Playoffs Swimming/Diving (Boys & Girls) 4/6/21 4/12/21 4/19/21 5/14/21 No Playoffs Boys Wrestling 4/6/21 4/12/21 4/19/21 5/14/21 No Playoffs Basketball (Boys & Girls) 4/6/21 4/12/21 4/19/21 5/14/21 No Playoffs Baseball 4/6/21 4/12/21 4/19/21 5/14/21 No Playoffs Girls Lacrosse 4/6/21 4/12/21 4/19/21 5/14/21 No Playoffs Boys Lacrosse 4/6/21 4/12/21 4/19/21 5/14/21 No Playoffs Softball 4/6/21 4/12/21 4/19/21 5/14/21 No Playoffs Boys Volleyball 4/6/21 4/12/21 4/19/21 5/14/21 No Playoffs Soccer (Boys & Girls) 4/6/21 4/12/21 4/19/21 5/14/21 No Playoffs
ATTENTION ALL INCOMING FRESHMEN
You will need to complete a concussion basline test in order to participate in sports. If you have not already taken this test, please email Coach Hunsdorfer at email@example.com as soon as possible and he will set up an opportunity for you to take the test.
At Salinas High School, we have various sports that we offer throughout the school year. Each student must meet all of the eligibility requirements prior to participating.
- Fall Sports: Football, Girls' Volleyball, Girls' Golf, Boys' and Girls' Cross Country, Boys' and Girls' Water Polo, Girls' Tennis, Field Hockey, Sideline Cheerleading, Competition Cheerleading
- Winter Sports: Boys' and Girls' Basketball, Boys' and Girls' Soccer, Boys' and Girls' Wrestling, Sideline Cheerleading, Competition Cheerleading
- Spring Sports: Boys' and Girls' Track & Field, Boys' and Girls' Swimming & Diving, Boys' Golf, Boys' Tennis, Boys' and Girls' Lacrosse, Boys' Volleyball, Baseball, Softball, Boys' and Girls' Mountain Biking (non CIF sport)
Sportsmanship is our #1 priority at Salinas High School. We follow the six pillars of good character which include:
Our coaches and student-athletes will respect the integrity and judgment of all officials. We expect the fans to do the same. Cheer positively for your team and acknowledge special plays for both teams. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and respecting the game!
Coach Hunsdorfer graduated from Salinas High School in 1981. He holds a BA in Sociology (1986), a MA in Education (1988), and a Ed.D in Educational Leadership (2008). After two years as a Counselor at Fresno High School, he returned to Salinas High School in 1989 to serve as a Counselor for 31 years.
He has coached Baseball for 35 years at Salinas High School, Palma High School, Fresno High School, and Cabrillo College. In addition to coaching baseball, Coach Hunsdorfer has served as an assistant football coach for 9 years and was previously the Athletic Director at Salinas High School for 16 years.
Art Hunsdorfer- Athletic Director
831.796-7400 ext. 2912
Rosa Rodriguez - Athletic Secretary
831.796-7400 ext. 2908