AVID ~ Advancement Via Individual Determination
How do I join the AVID program for the 2021-2022 school year?
- Select “AVID” as an elective on your pre-registration form, which students will be completing in early February
- Complete the NSHS AVID Interest Form
- Students will be contacted by the NSHS counselor regarding next steps in the application process
- After completing the application steps, students will be contacted later in the semester regarding acceptance
- The AVID elective will be added to the student’s schedule
AVID’s mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
What is AVID?
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is an internationally recognized program designed to prepare students for success in colleges and universities. AVID students enroll in college preparatory classes and in an AVID elective class.
The AVID curriculum focuses on developing the study skills and academic skills necessary for success in high school and beyond. The AVID program offers college preparatory activities, skill development, career building, personal mentoring, and group tutoring.
Student are highly encourage to take all 4 years, but can always join the program at any grade level.
What Will I Do in an AVID Class?
Skill Development: You will practice skills such as note taking, organization, time management, and test-taking. You will also improve academic skills in the following areas: reading, writing, public speaking, and critical thinking.
College Preparatory Activities: You will learn about a variety of colleges and universities through guest speakers, field trips, and research. You will also learn about the requirements for getting into specific colleges and universities.
Personal Mentoring: Your AVID teacher will monitor your progress and help you set future goals at individual conferences. Your AVID teacher will also communicate with your other teachers and act as an advocate on your behalf.
Tutoring: Twice weekly, you will work in tutorial groups with a college or student-trained tutor to go over essential questions, provide extension to material, and a guiding process to understand difficult material and study for tests.
Career Building: You will explore career options through research to determine what education level is required for specific careers. Regular guest speakers will share their professional experiences and careers with the class.
Classroom Community: You will participate in many community building activities with you classmates, where hopefully, you will build strong relationships and learn to trust each other. You will have the opportunity to improve your interpersonal, communication and leadership skills.
Students in AVID meet at least one of the following:
- Have between a 2.0-3.5 GPA or better
- Have good attendance
- Have a good behavior record
- First in their family to attend college
- Have an average to high standardized SBAC Score
- Teacher recommends them to the program
- Committed through the process of AVID & perseveres
We accept enrollment for 9, 10, 11, and 12th grade for the upcoming school year.
How Do I Enroll in AVID?
- Fill out the AVID application (copies can be obtained through the Counseling Office)
- Ask teachers if they may fill out the recommendation part for you!
- Return forms on time
- Register for the AVID elective with your high school counselor during Pre-Registration!