The attendance procedures are listed below. We ask that you, as a parent, familiarize yourself with the procedures. Please remember that regular attendance is essential for your students' learning and is the basis for success. Students are expected to attend all classes as assigned.
ALL DAY ABSENCES:
If your child is absent all day due to illness, dental or doctor appt. etc., please send a (doctor/dentist) note with your child or leave a message on the recorder. Please give the following information:
Students' first and last names, ID#, dates of absence, reason for absence with caller's full name and phone#. In case, we need to contact the guardian/parent, or send a note with all the above: printed name of guardian/parent and signature.
PARTIAL DAY ABSENCES: (student comes in late to school)
If your child is late due to dental or doctor appointments, please send your child a ( doctor/dental) note or call the attendance office. Also, be specific about the start and end time of the doctor's appointment.
LEAVING EARLY DURING SCHOOL DAY- "PERMIT TO LEAVE":
If it becomes necessary for the student to leave school for any reason during the day:
*ID IS REQUIRED
- Send a note or call the attendance office (you may request a permit in advance).
- Parents/guardians must be specific of the date, the reason and time the student needs to leave campus.
Failure to request a permit may result in an automatic being truant!!!
LATE TO CLASS DURING SCHOOL DAY:
If students are late for class due to a meeting with a counselor or other staff, it is their responsibility to request a note from the staff member and turn it in to the attendance office. If students are late for class for any other reason, they will be considered tardy.
HEALTH OFFICE: (if the office is closed, go to the appropriate area)
When a student does not feel well, the student should:
- Report to class and request a pass from the teacher to go to the Health Office.
- If the student needs to go home due to illness, the Health Aide will contact a parent/guardian or the emergency contact to receive authorization to send the student home. The parent/guardian or the emergency contact must pick up the student and will be given a "Permit to Be Absent" by the Health Aide.
- If a student is ill and NO ONE CAN BE REACHED, they may rest in the Health Office for a brief period or return to class.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A STUDENT LEAVE CAMPUS WITHOUT PERMISSION! SCHOOL IS A CLOSED CAMPUS. STUDENTS MUST HAVE A "PERMIT TO BE ABSENT". IF YOU GO OFF CAMPUS YOU WILL RECEIVE A CITATION FROM THE SALINAS POLICE DEPARTMENT AND BE REQUIRED TO APPEAR IN COURT FOR TRUANCY
WARNING! TRUANT ABSENCES MAY RESULT IN LOSS OF ELIGIBILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN SCHOOL ACTIVITIES.
Parents, please be aware of the attendance procedures and understand that attendance is crucial for your students' success in middle school.
(831) 796-7200 (option 2) or ext. 8008
(831) 796-7200 (option 2) or ext. 8090