All middle schools in the Salinas Union High School District have Board-adopted, mandatory school uniforms. Uniforms were adopted to improve school safety, decrease antisocial behavior, and improve student self-esteem.
1. SHIRTS: Solid white collared shirt, polo shirt, or collared blouse must be neatly tucked
- Collared shirt must be the outer shirt. Undershirts must be solid black or white.
- No sleevesless tops or T-shirts
- No inside-out tops; no sheer/see-through fabrics
- Students may wear shirts earned through participation in ESMS programs, clubs, or activities such as Renaissance.
- No logos, regardless of size or color
2. PANTS: Solid black pants, slacks, skirts, or shorts
- No sweat/jogging pants, sports pants or sports shorts; no spandex or leggings
- Solid black denim and stitching is allowed; no stonewashed jeans, colored stitching or tags.
- Knee length dress shorts are allowed
- No baggy or saggy clothing
- No torn, cut, or ragged clothing
- Pants must be 1 inch above the floor
- Skirts should extend beyond the knee
- No slit skirts
3. JACKETS, SWEATSHIRTS, SWEATERS: Black, white, gray (or any combination of these colors ONLY)
- ESMS approved sweatshirts may be worn
- No designs, insignias, or logos, regardless of size or color
- No inside-out sweatshirts or sweaters
- No sports team logos, jackets, sweatshirts, or sweaters allowed
4. BELTS: Solid black or solid white
- No initials or other symbols
- No excess belt endings hanging
5. SHOES AND SOCKS: Black, white, gray, gold shoes (or any combination or these colors ONLY)
- No open-heels, open-toe shoes or sandals; no steel-toed boots/shoes
- Socks may be black, white, or gray only; laces must be black or white.
- The sloes of shoes must be black, white, or gray
6. JEWELRY AND ACCESSORIES: Black, white, or natural metals
- No insignias, logos, or labels except the official ESMS logo
- Scrunchies, hair clips, bows, etc. must be black, white, or natural metal.
7. HEADGEAR, GLOVES, AND SCARVES: Black and/or white ONLY
- No hats, beanies, bandanas, hairnets, sunglasses, etc.
- Sweatshirts/jacket hoods must be off the head, unless outside in inclement weather.
- Clothing and hats/caps determined to be gang related or inappropriate are prohibited.
- ESMS approved scarves or black and/or white scarves may be worn
8. BACKPACKS AND BINDERS: Black and/or white backpacks; solid black or solid white binders
- No backpacks or binders with gang affiliation
- No insignias, logos, writing, or graffiti on backpacks or binders
When a student is out of uniform, he/she may contact a parent to bring the proper uniform, or will need to wear a loaner uniform available through the Community Liaison. Reoccuring uniform violations will result in disciplinary consequences.