Delivery of Instruction This Week
For now, the goal is solely to support students’ retention of previously learned content knowledge and skills to prevent regression. This means no new instruction should be occurring at this time. We recognize the frustration this brings for parents, teachers, and students. Salinas Union High School District has more than 825 students who we know do not have access to an electronic device and/or the Internet. Additionally, we have more than 1,500 Special Education students and we are still developing the appropriate resources necessary in order to provide the legally binding accommodations found in students’ IEPs and 504s.
What is expected of teachers right now?
- Update and Post all grades in Synergy by 5 p.m., Thursday, March 19th.
- Post or share review opportunities with their students.
- We recognize that not all students can or will participate in what has been outlined above. No grade or credit will be given for review work.
- Virtual office hours for student/teacher communication
What is expected of students right now?
Students will receive information through Synergy communicator, Google Classrooms, all social media platforms, and/or mail, regarding the opportunities for sustaining and reviewing the course content. Student communication will be initially sent through the District Office. However, we are working on a system that will give teachers an opportunity to systematically communicate with their students.
Through the encouragement of SUHSD staff, students may participate with review work. Completed work cannot be expected from all students so, therefore, it will not be graded. The work is solely to support the retention of previously learned material.
What is expected of the district right now?
- We are developing further plans for distance learning in the event of an extended school closure.
- We are compiling information and resources on a centrally- located staff page.
- We will maintain regular communication as developments and decisions are made.
Adult Education Program
The closure of Salinas Union High School District includes Adult Education classes. Please check back for updates.
Internet Service Guidance For Parents and Students
Click Here. to read about Internet options for families, including discounts or free plans offered by service providers in the wake of the COVID-19 situation.
Curricular planning going forward
Our plan is fluid. Until further recommendations are made by the State, the district will provide educational opportunities where feasible. Our goal remains to support our students by providing a positive environment, even if that environment is no longer a physical learning space. We appreciate the flexibility, patience, and support of students, parents, and staff.